[WEB4LIB] Public Browser and CIPA?

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Apr 3 18:37:57 EST 2002

Mike,

CIPA requires that you block pornographic images, not pornography in
general. I know, it makes no sense, that's what you get from politicians.
That means that you need a browser that supports image blocking first.
Actually, it has occured to me that the best CIPA compliant browser would
be LYNX.

In regards to a "blacklist", CIPA spells out the material that is required
to be blocked. As these are legal definitions, they raise the possibility
that a legal challenge could be raised if the blacklist is overly broad.
Also, remember that CIPA does not authorize blocking pornographic "text"
so a blacklist that does block text could cause problems. CIPA also does
not make a distinction between public and staff computers so add that into
your deliberation.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library