Authentication program which works with WINNT?

Sandra Rotenberg srotenbe at solano.cc.ca.us
Fri Oct 5 12:57:32 EDT 2001

Hi everyone,

Our library just opened an Information Commons which added 60 Pentium 4/flat
screen monitor Gateway PCs for students to use.  The problem is that we have
no way of making students sign on to the computers.  Ideally we would like a
program that would compare the student's id number to the database of active
students (which is currently almost 6,000) and allow access for a certain
period of time before logging them out and not letting them back on for
another specified period of time.  Cost is always a factor, but we are not
expecting to find this for free.  I have looked at the timer from Library
Geek, and searched the archives of this listserv, but haven't found mention
of exactly the "right thing", but I think we can't be alone in needing
something like this.

Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received.  If you want to email
me off list I will be happy to post a summary to the list.

Sandra Rotenberg
Access Services Librarian
Solano Community College
4000 Suisun Valley Road