[WEB4LIB] Netscape 6.x and Javascript

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Nov 26 12:49:26 EST 2001

> I've noticed that Netscape 6.0 through 6.2 doesn't seem to like some (a
> lot?) of the Javascript on various pages I've visited (and,
unfortunately,
> one which I own).
>
> Is it more likely that it's the Javascript which is at fault, or does
> Netscape 6.x not handle certain Javascript very well?  (If anyone's
> interested in a sample of code which doesn't work, I'd be happy to
provide
> it off-list.)

You can post a URL and let the JavaScript wizards take a look at it.  But
the bulk of such problems boils down to this:  Netscape 6 does not handle
"well" any scripts that look for IE5, Netscape 4, and no other browsers.
Funny, Opera sometimes has that trouble too.  Vet your scripts for
anything that looks for browser versions directly, or for proprietary DOM
objects like document.all.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu