Update: (Week 11) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Fri May 18 13:03:28 EDT 2001

5/18/01
Update Week 11
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

If you are looking to stay current with news and new resource you will enjoy
stopping by this week.

REMEMBER, this e-mail update is a HEAVILY abridged version of what you will
find on the weblog. Don't hesitate to share this message or simply the url
with others.

Feel free to stop by throughout the week for new resources and news of
interest to the information professional.

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thanks for the continued support. If I can be of assistance, you know where to
find me.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu

p.s. Links to past VAS&ND (archived postings) can be found in the left column
of the page.  Happy Browsing!

----------------
Weekly Highlights #11
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 17, 2001
Info Industry--Factiva
Factiva Will License It's Taxonomy

Canadian Resource Shelf
Enviroment--Overview
"Tracking Key Environmental Issues"
Source: Environment Canada
>From the update, "...an overview of the key environmental challenges facing
Canada and the measures to address them."
-
Aerospace/Defense Industry--Statistics
1999/2000 Aerospace and Defence Survey
Source: Industry Canada
-
Election Results
Poll-by-Poll Result Files, 1997 and 2000 General Elections
Raw Data Files

Full-Text Document Shelf
State Level Demographic Profiles from Census 2000 Now Online
You'll want to bookmark this page as new profiles come online in the next few
days.
-
Justice--Statistics--United States
New/Updated Resources from the Bureau of Justice Statistics
Drug and Crime Facts (Site Update)
-
Public Libraries--Internet Filtering
"Libraries Win Delay in Installing Internet Filters"
Source: AP

---
Wednesday, May 16, 2001
Business--E-Commerce--Retail--Statistics
Retail E-Commerce Sales, 1st Quarter, 2001
Source: U.S. Census/ESA

A Few Notes About U.K. Resources
Design--Searchable Database
Image Databases
Design Council Slide Collection
-
Legal Research
More About the Resource Discovery Network
Source: LLRX.com
-----

Tuesday, May 15, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Campaign Finance--United States
Congressional Financial Activity for 2000
Political Party Fundraising 2000
Both news releases contain many links to tables in both HTML and spreadsheet
formats.
-
Demographics--United States
Profile of General Demographic Characteristics for the U.S.-2000
Source: U.S. Census
Direct to Highlights and News Release||| Direct to Full-Text Document
-
Manufacturing--United States
Source: BLS
Productivity and Costs: Manufacturing: 1990-1999

Kudos and Congratulations
Libraries of the Future
ALA/Information Today Library of the Future Award Winner Announced
----

Monday, May 14, 2001
Fee-Based Resources
Trade Data--European Union
New Resource: EuroTrade Online

Knowledge Management
"Managing the Knowledge Manager"
Source: The McKinsey Quarterly

Information Industry--LexisNexis
Forget the Hyphen, LexisNexis Unifies Brands With New Name, Icon

WOW!
Internet Training Materials
RDN (Resource Discovery Network) Virtual Training Suite

ERIC--Guides
ERIC: User's Guide For Librarians
A new User's Guide aimed at the librarian audience.
----

Sunday, May 13, 2001
Professional Reading
Online Databases via the Web
"Playing Twenty Questions to Test
Low-Cost, Free, or Subscription Databases for End-User Online Service"
Source: Searcher (May, 2001)
----

Saturday, May 12, 2001
Business--Rankings
The Forbes/Milken Institute Best Places for Business and Career-2001
Source: Forbes
----

Friday, May 11, 2001
Census 2000
Free E-Mail Tutorial
The Alaska Library Association is offering a free e-mail tutorial on the 2000
Census.
>From a recent e-mail posting, "Modeled after ALA's successful e-mail tutorial
on copyright, this nine week, once-a-week tutorial will unravel many of the
mysteries of Census 2000."

Energy Crisis--California
Source: EIA
"Subsequent Events--California's Energy Crisis"
----

Thursday May 10, 2001
Database of the Day--Invisible Web
Salary Data--U.S. and International
SalaryExpert.Com
Information provided by Baker, Thomsen Associates. Select job title (several
hundred) and limit by zip code or state.  Plenty of additional salary
resources. An online International Version is also available.
Even Better!
Download the Full Version (free) that contains data for Over 32,000 Job
Titles.

Canada Resource Shelf
Retail
New Web Site: RetailInteractive.Ca

----
----
----
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
End Week #11 Update

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu

Looking for Info Industry News?
New Search Resources?
New Web Accessible Documents?

Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com