Mouse Platform - SUMMARY

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri May 18 14:18:42 EDT 2001

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query about the need for:

"a small platform that would ride over the "keypad" portion of the
keyboard and would allow some extra room to allow the mouse to be
maneuvered."

I received a number of responses.  The product I was specifically
looking for was available as a "mouse" bridge and was available from
AliMed at:

http://www.alimed.com/

They run about $20 so I'm still thinking about seeing if I can get the
high school shop kids to make something similar.

There were another of other creative suggestions.  One person pointed
out that there are now touch-screen units that use a stylus to get
around.  Actually, I have been asked by my boss to investigate
touch-screen technology.  But, I'm not sold on the ergonomics of that
route.  I envision a lot of tired arms!  The article on this is availabe
from the NYT:

April 26, 2001, Thursday
STATE OF THE ART; Makeover for Desktop PC Adds Style, and a Stylus
By David Pogue
Source: The New York Times

One person suggested a mouse with a "tracker ball" which is offered by
Logitech.  It's better designed than the traditional "track ball" and
you maneuver the track ball with your thumb..  You can see it here:

http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/89

Thanks again to everyone for their responses!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI