[WEB4LIB] Re: will OSS impact library automation?

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Mar 22 19:26:03 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Jerry Kuntz wrote:

> One might also make a distinction between the library applications and
> the database that underlies them. Although robust, integrated OSS
> library systems may not arrive any time soon, OSS databases are here,
> and there's no reason I can think of why the current automation
> vendors couldn't offer to accept them. I've been pricking at epixtech
> to ask why PostgreSQL or MySQL couldn't be used instead of the Sybase
> they want to package to us (more out of an interest in saving money
> than any pure dedication to the Open Source movement.) About 2 months
> ago, someone here on Web4lib cited a article that NASA had ditched
> Sybase in favor of MySQL.

I did. They ditched Oracle.  See more in _Federal Computer Week_ at

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/1204/pol-nasa-12-04-00.asp

The article points out that other fed agencies are considering oss, too.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
office - 509-963-1081 || fax - 509-963-3684
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu