[WEB4LIB] will OSS impact library automation?

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Thu Mar 22 18:50:20 EST 2001

One might also make a distinction between the library applications and the database that underlies them. Although robust, integrated OSS library systems may not arrive any time soon, OSS databases are here, and there's no reason I can think of why the current automation vendors couldn't offer to accept them.
I've been pricking at epixtech to ask why PostgreSQL or MySQL couldn't be used instead of the Sybase they want to package to us (more out of an interest in saving money than any pure dedication to the Open Source movement.) About 2 months ago, someone here on Web4lib cited a article that NASA had ditched Sybase in favor of MySQL.