Sort of Death of the Copyright - cost analysis

HTheyer htheyer at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 22 00:10:19 EST 2001

I think the point isn't what the CD costs, it is the question of why does
the same information cost differently in different formats when the format
isn't the issue.  A CD is cheaper to produce than a cassette, but the CD
costs more.  Same music, same photo sleve information, same record company,
same artist, different audience.  The cassette audience will pay $11 while
the CD audience will pay $16+ so whatever the market will bear is charged,
even if it isn't logical or "fair."  If a DVD of a movie has added footage,
different languages, the preview, interview with the director, etc and costs
more than the video without all those things, then that I understand.
Usually the content of the CD and the Cassette are identical.

If in the public library we charged for story hour in Beverly Hills because
the residents there could afford it and would pay it, while other places
don't because the residents can't pay it, does that make it right?

Hillary Theyer

> This will be my last post on this line, but it came to me that the cost of
> putting a CD into a store is much more than the cost of the plastic CD.
We