[WEB4LIB] RE: Gray Hats Re: Re: Jack Valenti: Copyright and

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:27:26 EST 2001

Your fears are well-founded.  Secure container technologies could leave complete control over the distribution of content in the hands of publishers.

Having said that, I wrote an article for New Media way back in October of 1997 on secure digital copyright management tools.  I interviewed lots of really smart folks at IBM (remember Cryptolopes?) and elsewhere who argued strongly that the widespread use of secure containers was right around the corner.

It ain't happened yet.

For it to happen,

1) Content has to be distributed in the secure container exclusively from the start.  This would mean, for instance, that a new album from Eric Clapton would never come out on CD, only in some new, secure digital format.  DVD would have to morph into DVD-Secure.  Etc.

2) There must be no convenient way to extract an adequately satisfactory copy for digitization and redistribution; ie, no high-quality analog out.  I don't know how you make a device that talks to today's stereos and home theaters without offering high-quality analog out.  Sure, the first digital copy suffers analog generation loss, but the pirate pays that penalty only once; all copies from there on are perfect.

DVD-RAM is about to become available at popular prices.  We can and should expect Moviester to evolve quickly.  You think your campus network is busy moving MP3 files today?

I think there are lots of chicken-and-egg questions to resolve before secure containers rule mass market content distribution.  Since e-books are in their infancy, maybe it really will happen there first.

/rich