[WEB4LIB] Terminal Server for Public Workstations

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Thu Mar 8 15:01:36 EST 2001

Sara Brownmiller wrote:

> The University of Oregon Library is evaluating whether to use a terminal
> server for the software currently available on our public workstations.
> The front runner at this time is Citrix, if we decide to use this model.
>
> I would be interesting in hearing from other libraries who either use a
> terminal server (and Citrix) about your experiences, what worked well,
> what surprises did you have.  If you did consider a terminal server and
> decided not to use one, why did you make this decision?

If you want to provide in-library access only, NT 4.0 Terminal Server or
W2K Terminal Services will work nicely without the extra cost of
Citrix.  W2K has some of the formerly Citrix-only features built in, so
it would be my preference, though you will need a license server for W2K
Terminal Services.  Microsoft has stopped selling NT 4.0 Terminal Server
(retail), so that may have an impact, too.  If you want to provide
off-site access, then you have to deal with Microsoft licensing, with or
without Citrix.  See recent posts on this.

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.