[WEB4LIB] Re: Attachments are now stripped

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jan 24 10:01:22 EST 2001

> It also strips HTML.  In my recent post, I created a link to "recent
thread" that
> pulled up the web4lib archive search.  I did this as a convenience to
email apps
> that could read the link, knowing that it would not harm those that
could not.
> There was also no indication (other than the fact that I got replies)
that the
> text of my message had indeed been sent.  This seems like a little more
than
> stripping attachments.
> -Andrew

Just so everyone's clear on this, most (all?) e-mail program that compose
HTML e-mail (cough, cough, mumble, you call that HTML? mumble) create
transmit two copies of each message, one in HTML and one in plaintext.
The e-mail client that eventually reads this either shows the HTML and
ignores the plain text, or shows one and calls the other an attachment.
>From listproc's point of view, it's just another multipart message, and
which part is an attachment to which other part is irrelevant.  Under the
current patch, once it sees "Content-type: text/html" (whether that's the
part that comes first or second), the rest of the message is trimmed.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu