[WEB4LIB] Re: Attachments are now stripped

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:30:36 EST 2001

Many email applications find and properly link web addresses without
HTML markup. For example, the very message in which I announced this
change has a URL in it, and the message was not stripped. I'm sorry,
but I do not think that limiting postings to plain text is too high
of a barrier for participation in this discussion, and in fact will
make the discussion more usable for those who are without the kind of
robust, full-featured email clients that many of us are blessed with.

As for Bob Rasmussen's display problem, I'm looking into it. This is
hampered by not being able to reproduce it. I would like to remind
everyone that the 3,200 readers of this list represent dozens of
different software environments, all with their particular
idiosyncracies. We are also somewhat limited in our ability to
provide the best experience for everyone. In the end, the best
possible situation for us all is to post in plain text as we have
established as list policy and are now doing our best to enforce.

If you must provide access to something that is not plain text (web
page, PDF, etc.), provide the (unmarked-up) URL for it in your
message. Thank you for your cooperation, patience, and understanding.
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner