CF, PHP and programming philosophy

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Jan 19 13:42:53 EST 2001

It's dangerous to call things like PHP "progressive". That's a
politically charged term; from the developer perspective, the PHP
design is not  progressive the way its development process is.

Modern application development orthodoxy demands separation of code
from data. Applied to web development, the content of a site should
be separate from the code that generates it, and from the styles that
format it. If you switch from MySQL to Postgres or you switch the
scheme of your database, you shouldn't have to change all your web
pages. If your area code changes, you shouldn't have to recompile
your applications.

When development is done in teams, code/data separation becomes
essential. Very few good programmers are good web designers, and vice
versa.

In designing something like CF or PHP, many decisions have to be made
about where to draw the line in these separations. Anything can be
misused, and a designer has to decide how strongly to discourage
misuse. To my mind, PHP looks too much like programming to be
web-designer friendly. That's not to say you can't use it in a
disciplined way to facilitate team usage, but discipline isn't always
fun. Although I've not used it, the CF design looks modern, and web
designers I've talked to love it.

In the end, we decided to roll our own Java-oriented framework.
Doesn't do much, but it's fast. It's LGPL'd in our Jake package.

Eric
Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure