[WEB4LIB] WAP/WML

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Feb 19 08:20:23 EST 2001

Coffee Cup Software has a free WML editor for windows.
http://www.coffeecup.com/wireless/

Software for Linux includes a dynamic html to WML program Html2Wml.
  "Html2Wml converts HTML pages to WML pages, suitable for being viewed on a
WAP device. The conversion can be done either on the command line to create
static WML pages or on-the-fly by calling this program as a CGI. Html2Wml's
most interesting features are: automatic deck splitting, links
reconstruction, and WML compilation (using WML Tools)."
http://freshmeat.net  search for WML there were several other files for WML.

Also, WAPForum.org has extensive information on WAP and WML. You can
probably find the information at their home page http://www.wapforum.org/
or links to specifications at

 "WAP Forum Specifications
This page lists the WAP Forum specifications which are in an Approved,
Proposed, or Prototype state."

http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Recently there have been new compactflash cellular type modems for wireless
Internet connectivity.  see www.nextel.com  they have a compactflash product
called spider for pocket PCs.  A small list of Wireless Web Content/Commerce
Providers is at http://www.nextel.com/nol/wireless.shtml there might be some
information at one of these sites that may be of use.

Another good info link is
http://www.cnet.com/wireless/0-2246626.html?tag=st.wr.2038410.dir.2246626 or
http://wireless.cnet.com

I know you weren't looking specifically for implementation but within those
links may be the information you are looking for.

Thomas

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at pm.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine