[WEB4LIB] RE: outsourcing/consultants for library computer programming

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Apr 2 11:46:45 EDT 2001

Sunday, April 01, 2001, 1:38:02 PM, you wrote:

LBA> I agree with you when you say ".. the next steps in delivering libraries
LBA> thorugh the web have to do with integrating and customizing systems. To
LBA> accomplish these steps, we
LBA> need programmers..."  The problem is the pay programmers can command is way
LBA> out of line with what libraries are able to pay.  My observation has been
LBA> that library salaries for technical staff are easily 1/3 less than what
LBA> those folks can earn in the business world.

The problem isn't what libraries are able to pay, it is what they're
willing to pay.  Money can be found if it is a high enough priority.
However, most library administrators aren't happy when they have to pay
"a mere techie" more than they make themselves, particularly if that
techie is half the age of the administrator.  So, they try to make do
with librarians posing as techies or programmers, or student help
(which may be quite good, but also quite temporary).  The other part
of the problem is that most libraries don't need to have a full time
"programmer" or "software engineer" or whatever, and most of those
people don't want to spend half of their lives doing boring stuff like
installing PCs and holding users' hands.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA