[WEB4LIB] RE: outsourcing/consultants for library computer programming

J.M. Latham latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 2 15:24:19 EDT 2001

I agree with Dan.  One large public library which shall remain nameless
has no qualms about paying marketing people of a younger age *very* good
money but balks seriously at the salaries expected by techie types --
whether they be programmers or librarians.

Part of the problem is how libraries have traditionally dealt with
technology, period.  The CS folks were never considered a *real* part of
the library, and administrators never saw technical applications as real
librarianship, so the strategy was always to get away as cheaply as
possible.

Joyce