[WEB4LIB] Regarding Job:Librarian at IBM Research

Kathy Wheeler kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Fri Sep 29 14:01:19 EDT 2000

At 10:18 AM 9/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
>  BUT IBM RESEARCH is HARDLY  POOR!!
>
>If I could have some feedback on this ... does this list have a policy?  Can
>we "restrict" headhunters from accessing our membership?  Should we?

Why? It seems logical that someone recruiting librarians would post to a
list where librarians would actually be found. Although Libjobs seems a
more appropriate list than this one.

>That most recent listing from a Jerry Cohen doesnt impress me with
>sincerity, integrity, or anything, for that matter.  He states,
>
>  " Candidates must be able to start work within one week to ten days after a
>telephone interview."
>
>Now, my fellow library professionals,  have you ever heard of an employer of
>librarians who does ALL interviews by phone?  Have you ever heard of an
>employer of the status of IBM RESEARCH requiring librarian professionals to
>be "able to start work" within one week to ten days?

This doesn't seem to me to be giving your old employer very much notice, so
I really don't like this at all. It seems the only way you could really
start within this period of time is if you are currently unemployed or
working for yourself.

> >Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
> >Sender: web4lib at webjunction.org
> >From: Jerry Cohen <jerryc at computer.net>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
> >Subject: [WEB4LIB] Job:Librarian at IBM Research
> >
> >This notice Expires: October 8, 2000
> >

> >FLASH!!!
> >

> >LIBRARIANS WANTED
> >

> >Immediate contract openings.
> >
> >We are recruiting a team to assist in the the development of an on-line
> >search tool at IBM Research in Westchester County, New York.
> >
> >We are seeking individuals with advanced training in Library Science.
> >
> >The contracted individuals will be engaged in a project developing new
> >technology in a search-related field. This will involve working as part
> >of a small team of programmers and librarians.
>
>Jerry Cohen
>IT Recuiter
>GONZER ASSOCIATES, INC.
>David  Johnson,
>Library Technology Consultant           617-253-9327
>MIT Libraries                   Room 14-0615
>                                 77 Mass Ave  Cambridge, MA   02139

Kathy
Wheeler                                        kwheeler at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Electronic Services/Reference                       That's jaguar ONE!
University of South Alabama, University Library
Mobile, AL  36688
http://library.southalabama.edu