[WEB4LIB] Regarding Job:Librarian at IBM Research

Pam Matthews pmatthew at gettysburg.edu
Fri Sep 29 14:04:40 EDT 2000

At 10:17 AM 9/29/00 -0700, David Johnson wrote:
>Am I mistaken or should private profit-making Head Hunters be restricted
>from participation in posting to this list?
<SNIP>
>That most recent listing from a Jerry Cohen doesnt impress me with
>sincerity, integrity, or anything, for that matter.  He states,
> " Candidates must be able to start work within one week to ten days after a
>telephone interview."

While I agree that the interview process as outlined is way alarming, and I
admit that *I* would never try for such a job, I would hesitate to keep
ANYONE from posting job ads to the list.

After all, such postings don't just benefit the postee.  They also benefit
librarians who are trying to find work.  If there's a librarian who's
unemployed, who *could* start work right after a phone interview, and who
doesn't feel the need for a site visit, the ad could very well be
beneficial.

(As far as I know, librarians who work for temp agencies don't get onsite
interviews before getting an assignment and they manage to deal with it.)

My point is, even though you might not be attracted to a particular ad,
someone else may be, and that's reason enough not to censor ads from the
list, even ones that are from corporate behemouths.

Pam

Pam Matthews
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Musselman Library
Gettysburg College
Gettysburg, PA  17325
717-337-7007 (phone) ** 717-337-6666 (fax)
pmatthew at gettysburg.edu