Wireless Bookmobile?

Rumbaugh, Christopher Christopher.Rumbaugh at ci.corvallis.or.us
Wed Sep 27 14:30:20 EDT 2000

Only slightly off the current thread...

We are trying to find a solution to getting Internet and catalog access on
our bookmobile.
The 2.4 GHz stuff we have tried so far isn't working, and the prospect of
cell modems at 9600 baud scares me a little.

As far as 'Airport' and these other low power, freeband, units go... does
anyone think we could mount one on or near a phone pole with ISDN and park
within a coupla' hundred feet and have some kind of decent through-put? This
would address some of our stops but we still need something to cover the
REALLY rural areas.

Short of going narrow beam dish antennas at all points [oh the
adjustment/alignment headaches] the "half mile" distances [line of sight]
claimed by some of these products seems like a pipe dream!

-Christopher D. Rumbaugh
Adult Services Librarian
<christopher.rumbaugh at ci.corvallis.or.us>
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library