[WEB4LIB] Single/dual processor servers and ILLiad

Phillip Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Tue Oct 24 06:56:20 EDT 2000

 My experience supports Sam McDonald's view that multiple servers are better
than one.  We started out with one box doing everything. As resources
permitted we moved to separate machines for the major services. We now have
seven severs, including a separate OPAC server. Overall I feel management of
the whole is easier and it certainly allows for a lot more fault tolerance.

I'm not familiar with Illiad but you might want to check and see if the
applications you are going to run will really benefit from a dual processor
box. There appear to be few applications which actually use the capabilities
of the dual processor servers.  I've got both single and dual processor
servers in my mix, and all other things being equal, I don't see a lot of
difference in performance.

Phillip Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC