[WEB4LIB] Single/dual processor servers and ILLiad

Samuel Mcdonald smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 23 16:41:56 EDT 2000

thoughts big box v. multi-boxes:
- once a big box always a big box?

- I generally think that mission critical services should be separated
  so when hardware or software voodoo pops up it doesn't ALL go down
  (risk managment!)

- depending upon your budgets, it might be easier to alternately
upgrade/replace one machine at a time (cheaper..only one discrete set of
problems at a time); also it becomes easier to retire a machine for a
backup or for a development server.   Then when Win2005(I made it up)
comes along you can use an older machine to test compatibilites etc.

- and depending on how you hook them up to the backbone, you may have
better bandwidth as the different apps don't trip over each other in
memory management etc. and aren't trying to shove everything thru the same
pipe (delivering PDF's can be especially annoying with the multirequest
thing going on).

- I have to ask, do you have your OPAC on yet a third machine?

-Sam

Samuel J. McDonald                                smcdon at rci.rutgers.edu
Webmaster                              http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/
Rutgers University Libraries                        Voice (732) 932-7505
Alexander Library, 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163