Ebooks in libraries

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Mon Oct 2 09:12:38 EDT 2000

Andrew:

I feel like a person in one of those films where someone says "Hear, Hear!"

Hear!  Hear!

I was also a bit surprised to not see so much interest, but that is the
nature of our work.  We spend so much time up to our ears and putting out
fires that we don't have time for things in the future.  Two years, when I
was at Texas A&M in Laredo, only the Acquisitions Librarian and myself were
talking ebook.  When I left, everyone was interested and we had spent a
significant  sum on them.

Eye-strain and cost are temporary.  We ought to see two lines of development
based on band width; text readers with very good resolution that are slow
and multimedia readers that do good video, but still are not as clear as
print.  Perhaps a middle of the road attempt will pay attention to the
content and adjust the screen to be clear for text.  My estimate is two
years to get them out with both low cost and good images.

But the technology is really not the point.

If they (publishers) ignore what is fair - and it will not be the same as
for print - they will have their worst fears come home.  Some short term
benefits for long term confusion.  And if you can spell China, you may know
where it can happen.

So, the question is "What is fair?"

Regards,

Gary