[WEB4LIB] Re: Ebooks in libraries

Drew, Bill drewwe at snymorva.morrisville.EDU
Mon Oct 2 09:34:29 EDT 2000

Andrew said:

"When I asked her if her "navigation" strategy included a plan for strict
adherance to the Fair Use portion of the copyright law,
she replied (I am paraphrasing): "There is no such thing as adherance to
Fair
Use.  One can only apply the four provisions of
Fair Use to whatever content one is facing."  Pretty scarey stuff
considering
that the vendors and standards-makers (read
"vendors") are going to be incorporating description and DRM metadata into
their
content.  That means that "use" will be
predetermined technologically.  READ THAT SENTENCE AGAIN...now shudder."

I don't understand the fear expressed here.  What she stated about fair use
is what any copyright expert will tell you about fair use.  I have been to
three different presentations on copyright the past two years and heard the
same thing at all three.  The four provisions must be applied on a case by
case basis and that has actually always been the way to deal with fair use.

Bill Drew