Reactive E-Journals

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sun Nov 26 17:22:54 EST 2000

                               _Reactive E-Journals_

     In May 1999, I posted a query to various e-lists seeking the titles of additional e-journals that provide an opportunity for readers to comment on a published article an e-journal either as an annotation to segments of the article or a separate component of the e-journal
[ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9905/0455.html].

   I received several  responses from this posting and learned about  a handful  of such journals that offer this function and include

   Conservation Ecology
   [  http://www.consecol.org/Journal/  ]
   [For an example see: http://www.consecol.org/Journal/vol2/iss2/resp1/index.html ]

   Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research'
   [ http://www.jair.org/ ]

   Journal of Interactive Media in Education
  [ http://www-jime.open.ac.uk/]
  [ For an example see; http://www-jime.open.ac.uk/00/stahl/stahl-01.html ]
  [Click on ?! balloon]

    Journal of Universal Computer Science
    [ http://www.jucs.org/jucs/  ]
   [For an examples, see http://www.jucs.org/jucs_annotations/all ]

    MRS. Internet Journal of Nitride Semiconductor Research
   [ http://nsr.mij.mrs.org/ ]
   [ For an example see: http://nsr.mij.mrs.org/1/1/discuss/ ]

     Psyche: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Research on Consciousness
     [ http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/ ]
     [For an example see:
  http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v3/psyche-3-06-vancampen.html ]

     Psycoloquy
    [  http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/psyc.html ]
      [For an example see:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.021 ]

[BTW: The BioMOO Scholarly MOO
[ http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO/ ] offers a Journal Club in which within this MOO participants can comment about a specific journal article
e.g. [  http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO/Meetings/940829-NSJC-4 ]

   I am greatly interested in learning about other Reactive E-Journals as well as any literature that have reviewed or commented [ :-)] or evaluated this interactive  functionality.

   As Always, Any and Al contributions, suggestions, comments, queries, critiques, criticisms, dimples, etc. are Most Welcome.

/Gerry McKiernan
Reactive Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011