File extensions to player chart--summary

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Mon May 8 12:23:47 EDT 2000

Thanks to all who responded to my query about the existence of chart that
lists file types and their corresponding plug-ins/players. This request came
about because I've heard from libraries in our system that have requested
multimedia plug-in recommendations; from their questions it's obvious that
there's a lot a confusion about what they already have; what they really
need; and whether they need online plug-ins or offline players and editors.
Julia Schult at Elmira College noted that plug-in support will vary by
browser vendor and version, which would complicate any such chart. Moreover,
the player/plug-in products are constantly changing, which would require
frequent review and revision.
If you're looking just for a comprehensive list of file extensions, go to:
http://www.whatis.com/ff.htm
It appears to be to most up-to-date list. Many of these formats are specific
to certain software packages.
Three other suggested links come close to what I had in mind, but aren't
perfect:
http://www.stack.com/
includes only the major standard file formats, with clear tables and links
to recommended players. However, this is undated; and refers mainly to
offline players.
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/multimed/appen.htm
is a year old, and charts files by the generic type of player/plug-in
required.
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amviewer.html
Is up-to-date, and refers to specific player/plug-in brands.

If I had the time for a nice little project, I'd use the American Memory
page as a start, and add to it explanations of offline players and editors
vs. online, and the ins and outs of plug-in configuration, file-type
association, etc. Maybe not such a little project.
Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org