[WEB4LIB] Naming of Library [computer] appliances (OPAC or not)

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 30 10:25:29 EST 2000

"Sutherland, Paul" <Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz> said:

>We have a small group of colleagues who are trying to decide to change
>the name of our OPACs (for no logical reason)

Just yesterday I was commenting in a workshop I was teaching about how
librarians seem to think they have to come up with a cutesy name for their
library catalog. What is it about computers that makes us do this? We
never named our card catalogs! Why not call it what it is, what people can
relate to, and what will not require explanation: the library catalog.
Roy Tennant
(from an institution that has both "MELVYL" and "GLADIS"...and no, they're
not married)