[WEB4LIB] Re: Naming of Library [computer] appliances (OPAC or not)

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Thu Mar 30 10:37:37 EST 2000

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was senior editor
at Library Journal, and I did a news featurette on the naming
of computer systems. People had some very charming and
intriguing comments -- and some great names. This would
have been some time between Sept 1987 and Sept 1990, if
some enterprising Webin wants to track it down. I believe I
wrote it for the news section, so I don't think it was under my
byline.
GraceAnne (sig file way below)

> "Sutherland, Paul" <Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz> said:
>
> >We have a small group of colleagues who are trying to decide to change
> >the name of our OPACs (for no logical reason)
>
> Just yesterday I was commenting in a workshop I was teaching about how
> librarians seem to think they have to come up with a cutesy name for their
> library catalog. What is it about computers that makes us do this? We
> never named our card catalogs! Why not call it what it is, what people can
> relate to, and what will not require explanation: the library catalog.
> Roy Tennant
> (from an institution that has both "MELVYL" and "GLADIS"...and no, they're
> not married)

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content
ladyhawk at well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

Writing is exciting, and baseball is like writing.
You can never tell with either how it will go.
Marianne Moore