Looking for Net/Ref stories

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Mon Jun 26 17:15:09 EDT 2000

Sorry for any cross-posting.

I have just signed a contract with Neal-Schuman to write a book tentatively
titled "Using the Internet as a Reference Tool: A How-to-do-it Manual for
Librarians". This is based on one of my most popular classes of a similar
name.

One of the plans for the book is to include stories from practicing
reference librarians about how the Internet has helped them as the ref desk
WITHOUT the use of a major search engine (AltaVista, HotBot, Lycos, Google,
etc.) Here's a (true) example:

"A patron had a GE electric blender from the 1950s that was missing the
glass bowl that sits on top. She wanted to know where she could get one. Not
wanting to try using a major search engine for this I asked myself "where
can I find old junk on the Internet?" (I did not voice this to the patron.)
After pondering this for a moment I came up with eBay. I went to the site
and searched on "ge blender". I received one hit for the exact blender the
patron wanted (bowl and base) in working order for only $10."

If you have a story that you think would fit what I'm looking for please
send it along off-list. Please include your name, title, library name and
library location. If I decide to use your story I will give you appropriate
credit.

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers/
WWW Library Directory @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.