[WEB4LIB] Loading personal or library software

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at ust.hk
Wed Jun 21 21:45:23 EDT 2000

We provide a computer laboratory.  The user has to log in with their username and password, which could be used for tracking if they do anything too damaging.  The computers are wide open for that session, and the drives are completely wiped and restored with a full virus scan of everything at every boot-up.  So if the user saves things to the drive, they are gone if the machine hangs - they need to save to their network space or to the floppy drive.

We *added* cd-rom drives to a few of these computers specifically so that cd-roms from Library materials could be accessed on computers in the Library.  If we collect it, we should provide a way to use it.

-Edward Spodick, Systems Librarian
 Hong Kong university of Science & Technology
 lbspodic at ust.hk