[WEB4LIB] Versions of Netscape

Justin Scott jmscott at ucla.edu
Wed Jun 21 13:17:12 EDT 2000

While I can't speak for added functionality (beside the "Shop", "My
Netscape", and "Radio" features), Netscape 4.72 seems quite stable and
would probably fix a nice amount of security holes.  I should add that my
work has been for a departmental computer lab that doesn't have the same
"total lockdown" requirements so you'll need to test all of these
suggestions to be sure they work the same for you.

To disable email, rename the "Mail" folder inside the default profile--
doesn't matter to what (MailX works). If that folder doesn't exist,
Netscape pretty much disables mail functionality. (but check to be sure,
it's been a while since I've tested all of this)

I'm not sure how to disable newsgroup functionality-- never really tried.

To disable AIM, delete the AIM directory inside [wherever it's
installed]\Netscape\Programs, and then (this is the hardest part-- be
*sure* you know what you're doing) go into the registry, do 2 searches: one
for "AOL" and one for "AIM".  Delete anything that seems AOL Instant
Messenger related. (You will get a LOT of non-AOL related items, too-- when
in the slightest doubt, DO NOT DELETE and see if it works).  The most
important ones to delete are the "Netscape Trusted Application" entries
(not sure where they are, but hopefully you'll know them when you see
them), as I think once those are gone it takes AOL Instant Messenger off
the Communcator drop-downs.

Good luck!

--
Justin Scott