[WEB4LIB] Versions of Netscape

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Jun 21 13:01:36 EDT 2000

If you remove the file prefui32.dll from the \Program
Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\ directory (unless you did not use
the default installation) then the user cannot bring up the preferences
user interface and it doesn't appear to have any adverse affect on the
browser.  When you choose the preferences option under the Edit menu
after removing that file, nothing happens.  There is another file you
can remove to disable the email interface but I better not try it right
now since I am responding with Messenger.  I think the email file is
nsmailui.dll.  It looks like Netscape did a decent job of naming files
to exactly what they perform and no more.  I haven't used these
solutions in production use yet only because I've got bigger fish to fry
right now but micro testing looks like these should work.

Thomas

Huntington Woods Public Library wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I have a question about the different versions of Netscape.  I know about
> Netscape Standalone 4.08 (we use it on our public terminals with Librowse
> protecting the system).  However, I am curious if upgrading to 4.7 will give
> our patrons some added functionality and also get rid of the hassles of
> integrating Librowse.  If I do this, I need to find a way to disable AIM,
> Netscape Composer, Netscape Messenger.  What are your experiences with
> different versions of Netscape?
>
> I will be configuring the browser to super kiosk mode with many options
> disabled thanks to the many useful tutorials online (many can be found at
> Andrew Mutch's site http://tln.lib.mi.us/~nort/tech/netscape.html.).
> However, when experimenting with the full version of Netscape 4.7, when I
> click on an e-mail address, the e-mail client opens.  Again, can this be
> disabled?
>
> Thank you in advance for all your help.

> Brent J. Pliskow
> Technology Coordinator
> Huntington Woods Public Library
> http://www.huntington-woods.lib.mi.us

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine