[WEB4LIB] Do you keep library application forms?

Phillip Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Wed Jul 5 15:12:33 EDT 2000

Beth,

Our library went over this issue a couple of years ago. We did keep paper
applications, now we don't.  One of our board members who is a lawyer opined
we didn't need to.  At the time we also surveyed other public libraries via
another mailing list to see what they were doing. There was no consensus.
Some libraries did keep the records, some didn't. Many had obtained legal
opinions supporting their particular position.  There was little
consistency, libraries even in the same states did  different things. Some
kept the forms forever, some for limited periods, others trashed them right
away.  Some don't even get signatures, they just have the patron fill out a
form, which isn't signed, and then they throw that form away.

If it's any comfort we have never had an incident where an actual signature
on the card application was required to resolve any dispute or problem,
legal or otherwise, either before or after we started throwing the
applications away.  And we are a library that sends patrons with long
overdue materials to a collection agency.

Phillip Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC