Y2K Adventures with LibraryWorld 98

Chiara Fox fox at rowland.org
Thu Jan 13 10:41:07 EST 2000

Hello Everyone-

Well it is official... my library has actually been bitten by the Y2K
Bug.  We use LibraryWorld 98 from Caspr for our catalog and it is not
smart enough to know that the date 1/1/00 means 1/1/2000.  It thinks
you mean 1/1/1900.

I found this out when my serials holdings were not displaying in the
correct chronological order.  The solution is that you have to type
out 2000 whenever you enter the date.  The program doesn't have a
problem with the year 2000, and it can generate the correct date when
needed.  It's just when you are manually entering it that it can get
confused.

Caspr was very helpful in helping me figure out what the problem was.
It was still a pain to have to go though all 200+ of our serials
records and make sure the dates were all correct.

-Chiara Fox
Technical Services Librarian
The Rowland Institute for Science
Cambridge, Massachusetts