iis query_string problem on virtual servers

glen.davies at cce.ac.nz glen.davies at cce.ac.nz
Wed Feb 2 07:40:40 EST 2000

Hi

I have come up with a blank from all other sources on the following
problem, so any ideas would be much appreciated.
I have an NT box running IIS 4, a default web server and a virtual
server. On the default server the cgi scripts run fine, but on the
virtual server, which has all the same settings as far as I can tell,
the query_string is not being passed to the scripts properly.
eg. a call to
http://please.go.com/scripts/testscript.cgi?someusefulstuff
returns
CGI Error

The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Can't open perl script "D:\WWWROOT\cgi-bin\iptest.plhello": No
such file or directory
It has got nothing to do with IIS needing absolute paths, etc. I have
been down that road, its just that the ? is gone so its looking for
iptest.plhello instead of iptest.pl?hello

but if I include an = in the query string it works and returns what it
is supposed to. I know query strings generally have an = in them
but the person that wrote the script I am trying to run decided not
to use it that way, and it runs fine on the default server?!!
I could go through the script and add an = to anything that follows
the ?, but I would rather work out what is causing it.

Thanks
Regards
Glen
Glen Davies