[WEB4LIB] Close Box on Netscape

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Aug 17 11:15:09 EDT 2000

Xiaowen,

What you want to do with Netscape violates the browser's security model
and it won't let you ditch the "x" without a digitally signed script.
An alternative that I've seen that might work for you uses the
Javascript "Alert" function.  What happens is when the page loads, a
Javascript "alert" appears that the patron has to click on before they
can proceed.  You place the legal jargon in the alert.  This method
prevents them from bypassing the agreement because they can not get to
the "X" without clearing the alert.

Here's the code borrowed from Livonia Public Library [and originally
posted at Dallas Public in Texas.]

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
// Activate Cloaking Device

alert("\nUsing the Internet at Livonia Public Library constitutes
acceptance of Livonia Public Library's Internet Acceptable Use Policy.
The policy can be read by clicking on OK.  It is also available as a
link on the Library's Home Page.");

// Deactivate Cloaking
// -->
</script>