Amazon.com Added Value Features and Functionalities for the OPAC

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Tue Aug 8 16:41:38 EDT 2000

   _Amazon.com Added Value Features and Functionalities for the OPAC_

which addressed the issue of linking to Amazon.com (or barnesandnoble.com) records from a user guide that I currently am preparing, a list member raised the issue of the backlash that may come from local businesses if a library did in fact link to such records within its OPAC.

    I responded to the list member indicating that I believe that there *might* be  a beneficial effect in that the additional descriptive and evaluative information might encourage the individual to borrow the item from the local library or to buy it from the local book store, music store, etc.

   On the other hand, I think that the 'value-added' features and functionalities found in such services as Amazon.com should cause
libraries to consider the effectiveness of their OPACs in addressing user needs.  Access to descriptive and user reviews is just one function that could significantly  improve OPACs. Other helpful features that the 'Value-Added OPAC 'could have would be such Amazon.com 'commercialized' features as

              an initial ranked list of the most heavily borrowed books,
              a chronological listing of results
              the option of displaying books by user rating
              a 'patrons who borrowed this book also borrowed  ....' feature
             a  'patrons who borrowed  titles by Author A also bought titles by
                 Authors X, Y, and  Z
             a 'Look for similar books by subject' / Browse for Books in
                [Full listing of associates subject headings]
              a Search for books by subject with a listings of headings and
               associated check-off boxes

      Impossible? Perhaps, but ....
[If there are OPACs that have such functionality, I'd liike to include them in
Onion Patch(sm), my clearinghouse devoted to New Age OPACs
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Onion.htm ]

     As Always, Any and All reactions, comments, criticisms, cosmic insights, contributions, etc. etc. are Most Welcome!

/Gerry McKiernan
Commercialized Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

  "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Duplicate the Functionality of
                                Sites Like Amazon.com"
                                          With Apologies (Again) to Alan Kay