Web research stations for patrons

Alicia Abramson abramson at library1.lib.csus.edu
Tue Apr 11 20:59:45 EDT 2000

Our library serves a population of approximately 23,000 students and 1200
faculty.  We have over 40 Web based databases, indexes and full text
journal sites available to our users and our OPAC has a Web version.  We
have about 28 public PCs in the library for access to these Web resources
(we also still have about 77 dumb terminals in the public area for access
to the character based version of OPAC.)  In addition to these PCs, there
is a computer center operated lab with about 50 seats located in the library.

Based on these demographics, do we have enough Web based PCs?  I'd like to
conduct a brief informal survey.  If you have 3 minutes I would appreciate
it if Web4libers could send the following information to me:

Institution:
Number of students:
Number of faculty:
Number of Web based databases/indexes etc. offered (subscription based):
Do you have a web version of your OPAC available:
If you still operate a character based OPAC, # of dumb terminals:
Any computer center operated labs in your building and if so, how many seats:

We are in the throes of our technology planning process, and I thought it
would help us break out of our bubble to gather some metrics on Web access
in the library from other institutions (preferably academic, but large
public library info would be interesting too.)

Thanks in advance to all who reply--I'll summarize for the list next week.

Alicia Abramson
Director, Library Information Systems
University Library
California State University, Sacramento