IE, a form, a back tick, and a very weird result...

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Fri Apr 7 09:41:08 EDT 2000

http://www.bcr.org/~ids/Reference/Grolier/grol-GrolTrial.html

On the above listed page (and others) is a form. In that form is the
following line of code:

<input type="hidden" name="delimiter" value="`">

This sets up the back tick character as the field delimiter for the data
when it is sent to a database file.

When you send this form to a printer using IE 5.x (haven't tested in 4.x)
you will get the following ON THE PRINTED PAGE:

<INPUT type=hidden value=` name=delimiter>

IE has not only printed out that line of HTML code but has capitalized the
word input, removed the quotation marks, and rearranged the name and value
attributes!

The form works fine (has been for more than a year, this is the first we've
noticed it. The code does not appear on the screen, just the printed page,
and this does not happen in any version of Netscape we've tested (4.x, 6,
Mozilla.)

I'm guessing there is something special about the back tick character. Any
ideas, comments, documenting of this "problem"?

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
The WWW Library Directory is @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Buy books, music or videos online? http://www.dealpilot.com/?partner=1307

"I want to know what good is a Web search engine that returns 324,909,188
'matches' to my key word. That's like saying, 'Good news, we've located
the product you're looking for. It's on Earth.'"
--W. Bruce Cameron

Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.