[WEB4LIB] RE: Indexing a Local Newspaper Index on the Web

Avi Rappoport avirr at lanminds.com
Wed Oct 20 14:05:17 EDT 1999

I agree that MS Index is pretty funky, it also will only index files
on a local disk, as it doesn't have a robot.  There are some nice
alternatives, from the free open-source ht://Dig, SWISH-E and ISearch
to Phantom which runs on NT and Mac and has a great interface, to the
remote-search services such as Atomz and Searchbutton to the high-end
search engines such as Ultraseek, AltaVista Search and Excalibur
Retrievalware.

If anyone's going to OnlineWorld, I'll be talking about this on the
27th at 2 pm, and would love to meet you there.  Or you could check
out my web site at <http://www.searchtools.com/> for lots of
information on this topic.

Avi