[WEB4LIB] Re: NT lockdown

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Oct 15 15:31:43 EDT 1999

At 12:06 PM 10/15/99 -0700, Sue Kamm wrote:
>I have been thinking about how librarians can control workstation use,
>particularly on those machines which permit unfettered access to the 'net.

Basically, all of it is feasible, though don't know that such a product
that meets your specs exists out of the box.

>There are two elements that we could apply to library
>workstations:  (1) Setting the amount of time permitted, and (2) Logging
>off the
>'net when the time is up.  If this system could be tied into a circulation
>system, and a person's use of the computer linked to their library card,
>so much
>the better.

Certainly could have such an interface.  It would be much like the remote
user authentication that many of us provide.  You could certainly have a
logon script that would query the library card number on your library
system.  However, many would point out this would limit access to those who
don't choose to have a library card, or don't meet your requirements for one.

>An automatic logoff would prevent the problem many libraries have
>mentioned--people leaving sexually explicit sites open for the next person who
>uses the machine to see.

This would only work if the person's time expired.  If I put up porn pix
and then left after fifteen of my sixty minutes, they'd still be there for
the next person.

>  Security measures such as clearing histories could
>also be built into the program.

Many do that now with boot scripts or similar.

>Anyone know if this product would be feasible?

Sure.  It is a combo of various pieces that people already have and do.

But, as with all such systems, what do you really want to restrict and
why?  For example, would you track how many times I come in to use the
net?  If so, nothing would keep you from also capturing my history file to
keep track of what I saw.  Personally, I wouldn't care, but I imagine a few
people would.  o-)   I'm NOT suggesting that you or any of us would do
this....but it would not stop the paranoid from yelling about it.   "How do
I KNOW you're not tracking my web visits.....you SAY you're not, but I
don't believe you, since you're part of the great <your choice here>
conspiracy!"

cheers

dan

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165