[WEB4LIB] Re: NT lockdown

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Oct 15 15:46:16 EDT 1999

One possible solution would be to move to a terminal-based solution [What?!
Terminals!  Didn't we just get rid of those darn things??]  Since Windows-based
terminal solutions run all of the applications on the server, I imagine it would be
fairly easy to set up an administrative scheme which would allow librarians or
technical staff to kill those applications on the server-side from a remote
workstation, say at the reference desk.  It would also simplify security and
administration as you would only need to set configurations once and users wouldn't
have access to mess with preferences, etc.  You could even take-over a user's
session if you found them engaging in inappropriate behavior - you have the power!
:)

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library