[WEB4LIB] Re: Please help SLJ: Milestones in Library

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Oct 7 03:55:38 EDT 1999

At 12:46 PM -0700 5/10/99, Dan Lester wrote:
>I think it would also be interesting to point out other early uses of
>technology, BEFORE online catalogs.  Automated circulation started in the
>mid sixties, if not earlier.  I think Ralph Parker's system at Missouri was
><almost> the first, on an IBM 1401.  Someone else did one on a 1620.   We
>implemented one at Bowling Green in 68, and it wasn't the first, though was
>fairly early.

The Commonwealth Parliamentary Library (Australia) had an automated
circulation system based on 80 col punched cards and tabulating equipment
in 1969.

Weapons Research Establishment Library (Australia) had a number of
automated systems some years earlier than that.

Tony