[WEB4LIB] Windows question

Michael VanHouten mvanhouten at albion.edu
Thu Oct 7 08:23:32 EDT 1999

Hagen -

Thanks very much! I adjusted both "Icon" size and "Icon Spacing (Horizontal)", and found appropriate settings to keep the icon names from truncating.

Thanks!!!

Mike

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Michael VanHouten wrote:

> I have a Windows 98 question that our computing staff can't answer.
>
> We have one public PC (running Windows 98) that shortens the names
> of all the icons I put on the desktop. For instance, "Course
> Reserves by Course Name" becomes "Course Reserves b......". I've
> looked through the desktop properties, but can't find the problem.
> Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

For any version of Windows running the "new" shell (Win 9x, NT), one of
the desktop properties is "Icon Spacing (Horizontal)." To the right of
that there's a 'size' property. Adjust the value up until you find a
nice setting. The issue is that you get very wide placement of icons if
you set the value high.

HTH

Hagen Amen          Network Analyst
Multnomah County Library Automation