[WEB4LIB] Re: American Library Association = Worthless!

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Tue Nov 9 14:35:55 EST 1999

>As for myself, I have found ALA membership an endless
>source of fellowship, networking, and even occasionally
>learning. It ties me to my coworkers and it makes me feel
>part of a larger whole.

I don't want to put words into Jay's mouth, I don't think he would disagree
with the importance of fellowship, networking and learning that goes on at
ALA and other related organizations.  Networking, for instance, is very
very important.  However, most folk I know would like the ALA to be more
"proactive" or "active" in fighting for the working conditions of Joe and
Jane Librarian.  Maybe ALA already is, if so, then that fact is not
reaching the eyes and ears of Joe and Jane Librarian (not pointing any
fault, just pointing out a situation).  Maybe it's the fault of Joe and
Jane, maybe its the fault of the ALA and maybe there's no need to even
assign faults, some things just happen even under the best intentions.  I
hope this discussion can be respectful, professional, and thus productive,
enlightening and useful.

BTW, I must admit that I have never joined the ALA, mainly from
word-of-mouth from others that it wasn't worth the time or effort, that I'd
get more out of joining more regional or local associations.  I have joined
a couple of state library associations, and have gotten good use of that
membership mainly in the way of networking, fellowship, and some
learning.  But I realize that I had not even considered for a moment that
such a membership would help my working conditions, and Jay's email has
made me stop and think "why?"  Why can't the associations be more like some
other professional organizations?  Being scholarly is fine, but I'm with
Jay, why don't we have a national union (some places, librarians are part
of a union of sorts, but it's not national)?  Why don't we have a credit
union?  Maybe there are good reasons why we don't but I think it is a fair
question to ask.

Of course, some of it is Joe and Jane Librarian's fault.   But to their
defense, many of us just don't have the energy or time left to join causes
or fight national fights because many or us are truly so overworked, over
burdened with committee after committee after committee and report after
report after report that somewhere in the time left we are supposed to do
our actual jobs, keep up with new and ever changing technologies and
demands by (for academic libraries) our changing student population, and,
for some of us, in an environment where in the organization (whether city,
school, or business) the library is always low on the priority list when it
comes to hiring, funding, pay (this isn't true for all, but is true for too
many), that after fighting to keep a position filled, or to get through one
more day, we are tired, finite human beings.

I've worked for libraries where, while they complained about funding and
staffing, had 3 times the funding and staffing (after taking into account
volume size differences) as other libraries I've worked for.  So there are
a lot of differences, and I see too often the more powerful, better funded
(not perfectly funded, but better funded) libraries ignore or trivialize
the needs of the smaller, and/or less powerful, and/or more poorly funded
sister libraries.  We need to band together more strongly.

But then again, maybe my mental bookshelf is missing a bookend or two!

TTFN,
David

Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
javascript list administrator <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/>
HTML Live Examples webmaster <www.mountaindragon.com/html/>
Personal Page <www.mountaindragon.com/merchant/>