[WEB4LIB] American Library Association = Worthless!

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Tue Nov 9 14:07:15 EST 1999

Dear Jay,
I have been an ALA member for 20 years and more, and am
currently serving on the ALA Council. I would be interested
in knowing what it is you would like ALA to do, or what you
think its purpose should be.

As for myself, I have found ALA membership an endless
source of fellowship, networking, and even occasionally
learning. It ties me to my coworkers and it makes me feel
part of a larger whole.

GraceAnne DeCandido (sig file way below)

> I invite your opinion on the following.  I feel that my past membership in the
> American Library Association constitutes a waste of money.  The organization
> is mostly concerned with administrative stances of no consequence and making a
> lot of noise about censorship, blah, blah, yech!   Why don't librarians have
> the same respect as teachers!  Why don't we have a national union, credit
> union, etc? Instead, we depend upon the cheapskate governmental organizations
> that we work for to "throw us a bone once and a while!"
>
> Answer:  We have the American Library Association to represent us. In my
> humble opinion; a worthless organization.
>
> I'm not trying to make enemies here; rather encourage useful discussion.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jay H. Frantz,
> Struggling Librarian

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Editorial & Web Consulting, New York City
ladyhawk at well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

Wizards do not lie; words are their tool and currency,
 which they dare not devalue.
 Diane Duane from The Book of Night with Moon