[WEB4LIB] Windows NT Server question

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu May 20 12:57:37 EDT 1999

Two quick checks you might want to make are :
1) check the parameters of the user account for anonymous access.  This
might be Guest or some other account set up by the server by default.
2) check through Windows Explorer (not IE) the security settings on the
default FTP directory ( \InetPub\FTProot usually for IIS).  Right click
on the directory and choose properties.  Next, see who has which rights
to that directory.  It may be that no one has write rights to that
directory by default making it only available for download not upload.

Please let me know if this corrects or doesn't correct the problem.

Thomas

nancy keane wrote:

> Hi all.  I just got a new server and installed Windows NT Server on it.  I
> have been pretty successful setting it up but I've run into a snag.
> Hopefully, someone out there has done this and can help.
>
> I want to enable ftp so that I can load files from home.  I went into ftp
> servers file and enabled anonymous guest login.  I can ftp into the server,
> use my administrator login and password and it lets me in.  However, it does
> not list the files in the directory nor does it allow me to upload files.  I
> know it must be something simple I forgot to do but...  Also, how do I go
> about creating login's that allow for ftp privileges.  Do I do this through
> NT server?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.  I'm going back to reading the manual now
> and hope for inspiration!
>
> Nancy
> Nancy J. Keane                  voice:  603-225-0862
> Rundlett Middle School          fax:    603-226-3288
> 144 South Street                email: nancy.keane at rundlett.concord.k12.nh.us
> Concord, New Hampshire 03301    http://www.concord.k12.nh.us/schools/rundlett/
> Booktalks http://www.concord.k12.nh.us/schools/rundlett/booktalks
> Winner 1998 Progressive School Library Media Award
>                 "Do the best you can and maintain a sense of humor."

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine