[WEB4LIB] Academic Library Web Pages

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Mar 1 19:27:17 EST 1999

At 01:40 PM 3/1/99 -0800, Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:
>I would like to know if any of you are completely in charge of what goes
>into your Home Page/Site or if you need to be consistent with the rest of
>the college's site.  Do you need to answer to the college's Webmaster or
>does the library have autonomy.  I would really appreciate input on this
>since we are currently undergoing major change at Manhattanville
>College, and at present, we must answer to the College Webmaster.

Yes, I am, for http://library.boisestate.edu, although I of course listen
to our Publications Committee, the Library Director's suggestions,
colleagues, etc.  I imagine that if there were ever a major battle I'd win,
but I'd much rather never have any battles.

Having worked in seven state university libraries in seven states, I'd say
that it all depends on "campus political climate and style".   Boise State
is generally a decentralized and loosely coordinated place, occasionally to
a fault.  I've worked in other places, however, where you had to raise your
hand to go to the bathroom, had better NEVER take a 16 minute break, and so
forth.  So, you adapt to the local style or move on.

If what you're dealing with is the politics of power and control, you're
unlikely to win, and might be better off not fighting.  The Boise State
level of web control is shown at
http://www.boisestate.edu/oit/bsustyle/official.html   As you can see, it
is minimal, and all things that follow basics of good design and common
sense.

Good luck

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/