[WEB4LIB] Re: Academic Library Web Pages

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Mar 1 19:34:24 EST 1999

At 02:57 PM 3/1/99 -0800, Susan Acampora wrote:
>internet and database resources.  Many of us feel the library should
>maintain a
>website in order to maintain  currency and provide a more comprehensive web
>resource.
As one more comment on all of this, I'll say that besides things here being
done in the loose "Boise State Way" (similar to the HP Way, for those
familiar with it), the library had the first web server on campus, and
after starting the library website started the university website, managing
it for ten months until the IT folks could get their stuff together to do
so themselves.  Note that I'm not knocking our IT folks, with whom we work
VERY closely....they've greatly improved since 1994 when all of the above
happened.  We still run two physical servers, and about thirty virtual
servers, and manage everything in the building from where the fiber
terminates in our switch to all the desktops, public PCs, etc.    You can
run your own server on almost any Win9x/NT box with no problems at all.  Of
course they may not allow you to do so, but technically it is very simple,
with very inexpensive software.  Again, it all depends on your local
politics and personalities.

cheers, and pick your battles wisely

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/