web design problems

O'Connor, Bonnie oconnor at briscoent.uthscsa.edu
Mon Mar 15 14:39:48 EST 1999

One thing that is annoying for me is stark white and/or hard black
backgrounds.  Anyone with the kind of cataracts that gives them a problem
with glare will understand my dislike of stark white.   I also dislike the
dark, dark backgrounds.  They may be in vogue, but they are harder than heck
to read for more than 30 seconds or so.

As designers, we need to be less enamored with what we *can* do and remember
that our users need to find our site easy to use in a physical sense also.
For example, designers can now put photos in a box next to text.  The text
may have 6 different places for you to choose from on your homepage.  As you
move your mouse down the page the photo changes in the box to something that
is appropriate for the choice you are moving your mouse over.  It sounds
wonderful and even when you use it the first time you think, "How clever!"
After you use it three or four times those roll-over photos are
exasperating. AND they probably take forever to load on a modem.

Bonnie O'Connor
Internet Services Coordinator
mailto:oconnor at uthscsa.edu
Briscoe Library