[WEB4LIB] seizures

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Mon Mar 15 13:39:48 EST 1999

	The Pokemon cartoon show sent what ended up as several thousands of kids
to emergency rooms in Japan. Someone reran the crucial scene on the nightly
news and set more kids off, and by the time all the small towns within
range had reported in it was around 700 kids. American animators already
watch for this problem and Japan is looking out...
 http://www.gaming-age.com/news/121897a.htm
http://archive.abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/flicker_doctors.html

At 09:35 AM 3/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>In my opionion
>
>1)  BLINKING animation is the major problem (ie animation that
>	really is not smoothly done) --  just as a blinking light in
>	a dark room is a problem.  The human brain tries to
>	make sense of what is happening... and has problems
>	with it.
>
>2)  Dark backgrounds (especially black), brings out the blinking
>	and the drastic change in intensity changes and coupled
>	with bright colors... does not help.
>
>Therefore, I'd suggest light pastel backgrounds... not too busy!
>Colors that do not draw attention away from the content.  And
>lastly, if animation must be used... it must be SMOOTH... not
>flickering.
>
>You could tell that the person who designed those footprints...
>was trying to get across the screen in a certain number of frames.
>The low number of frames, meant a whole bunch of jumping in
>the animation.  Extremely distracting!

Steve Hooley - Technician
Zach S. Henderson Library
Georgia Southern University
 http://www2.gasou.edu/facstaff/hooleyss
"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be
 drab places where people sit in silence, and that's
 been the main reason for our policy of employing
 wild animals as librarians."  --Monty Python